Wine Stories are a collection of contributed short fiction and tales of personal experiences that feature the World Of Wine And Adjacent Amusements – either short stories, articles or passages from longer works. Submission is open to anyone with a story to share. Acceptance for publication is based on the subject matter and WAJ’s acceptance criteria. A new story is featured each month, see submission guidelines, publishing format information and submission form below.
Currently Featured: Initiation, a short story by John Cordon
Submission Deadline For March 1st Publication: February 25th, 5pm.
Wine Stories Submission Guidelines
- Wine stories may be a work of fiction or relate an author’s personal experience in which wine, wine tasting, wine production, wine travel, wine/food pairing, or other wine-related topics appear in the story. Stories may not promote a specific product, service or destination, i.e. no advertising.
- Person submitting a story (author) must own all rights to publish the materials submitted, including text and images. Author accepts sole responsibility to ensure that publication in Wine Adventure Journal does not violate agreements the owner of rights has with any other entity. Submission grants Wine Adventure Journal one time, non-exclusive publishing rights.
- Acceptance and publication is subject to WAJ standards regarding potential reader interest and suitability of content. Excessive profanity, offensive statements and political commentary of any kind are not permitted. Wine Adventure Journal reserves the right to request changes and reject submissions for any reason.
- Story to be 2,000 to 5,000 words in length.
- Submit text document in Microsoft Word (preferred) or PDF format and submit up to four image files separately (not embedded in text document). Images may be no larger than one megabyte each in .jpg or .png format. Author must designate one image as a featured image. If images are to appear within the body of the text, submit a PDF document with images imbedded to illustrate where the images should be placed when uploaded into a WordPress post.
- Authors may submit one link to their web site or other online location where information about the author can be found. If the submitted story is contained in a work previously published by the author, author may also submit a second link to a retailer (e.g. Amazon) to facilitate purchase of the work with checkout taking place on the retailer’s site.
- Author may submit a photo of themselves (.jpg or .png format) and biography of no more than two hundred words. An introduction to the story may be submitted that is no more one hundred words. The introduction and author bio should be added to the end of the story text document or submitted in a separate text document.
- No compensation is provided to the author upon acceptance and publication, other than the benefit of exposure of their work.
Wine Stories Publishing Format
- Accepted Wine Stories are published in WordPress blog post format. If provided by the author, an introduction appears at the beginning of the post and the author’s photo, bio and links described in 6. above appear at the end of the story. Final formatting in WordPress is at WAJ’s discretion and a draft of the post will be provided to the author for review prior to publication.
- “Comments” will be enabled at the end of the story for readers who would like to engage the author.
- Stories are published on the first calendar day of the month with a link to the story appearing on the WAJ home page for the duration of that month.
- Wine stories remain in the Wine Adventure Journal archive and are viewable by the public for at least one year after date of publication. Authors may request removal of their story from the archive at any time.
- WAJ will provide search engine optimization (SEO) for the WordPress post per its internal procedures and announce publication on its social media accounts, which may include Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Google+.
Questions And Submissions
Use this form to ask questions or submit a story.